Support TFG by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) so we can continue to create helpful free content. We earn from qualifying purchases made to the featured retailers. Thank you, we appreciate your support!
As mentioned in my post How to Pack for Long Term Travel, I use one of three packing strategies for my current stage in my indefinite travels.
I refresh and replace as I go!
As my destinations and interests have changed in the past 3 years as a permanent nomad so does my packing list.
My Long Term Travel Packing List
While my long term travels in Central America required a Round the World inspired packing list and strategy, my current ambitions to scuba dive in the top destinations has me packing based on my interests: beaches and diving.
I always include a couple of ultra-versatile pieces for the other random activities I do, but generally my long term packing list at the moment consists of summer clothing – I’m a sun chaser!
When I stop to live somewhere for several months, then I buy things on location and ditch certain items when I leave.
I follow the Maximista Packing List as a guide taking a 15 piece capsule wardrobe, which is more than enough. I always begin each trip segment as a Maximista and end up with an Essentials packing list within a couple of months.
- 1 Long Sleeve Top
- 5 Sleeveless Tops
- 1 Tunic Top
Outerwear / Layers
In order to make your packing easier, consider these 6 factors in choosing your travel clothing.
Accessories and Toiletries
- 1 Travel size mani/pedi kit
- 1 Travel size hair brush
- 5 No rip hair ties
- 5 Mini hair clips
- 1 Pack of bobby pins
- Travel size baby powder
- Travel size shampoo/conditioner
- Full size Cetaphil body moisturizer
- Full size Cetaphil Face Moisturizer
- Full size St. Ives face scrub
- Travel Size leave in conditioner
- Lancome anti-wrinkle eye cream
- Neutrogena sun block
- Tooth brush
- Small toothpaste
- 1 Mini Nail Polish
- 1 Razor
- 1/2 Foot Scrubber
Check out these 5 steps in choosing toiletries for a RTW trip.
Electronics and Other Gears
- 1 laptop
- 1 phone/camera/kindle/mp3 player
- 1 portable wifi router
- 1 portable power bank charger
- 1 point and shoot camera
- 1 universal adapter
- 1 extension cord
Lugagge and Additional Gear
- Osprey Meridian 22 Wheeled Backpack (backpack straps removed)
- Osprey Daypack (attached to wheeled backpack)
- AmazonBasics 4-Piece Packing Cube Set
- 1 Headlamp
- 1 travel towel
- 1 sleeping liner
Remember: This list varies and sometimes I can have more dresses and less tops, different toiletries as they get used, or just two pairs of shoes. Learn more about creating a capsule wardrobe to travel carry-on only to any destination.
Are you surprised to see any items on my list?
For more tips and ideas on long term travel packing, please read the following:
- Long Term Travel Tips: Transitioning from Hot to Cold Weather
- What Travel Shoes Should I pack for a Round-The-World Trip?
- RTW PACKING LIST: Your Ultrimate Guide for Around The World Travel