Wondering what to pack for Jamaica? Keep reading to find out what to bring for your fun-filled beach vacation!
Jamaica Packing List
Written by: Lily Kim
Table Of Contents
Jamaica is known for its beach resorts, and the dress is mostly casual unless you’re attending a destination wedding that requires formalwear. You won’t need much party clothing for nightlife even in Mo’ Bay or Ocho Rios, but try packing a variety of attire including the items below.
What to Wear in Jamaica: Clothing
Opt for light, breezy fabrics. Linen wide leg pants or cropped pants are perfect if you prefer a more covered appearance while shorts of any material will fly to show off your gorgeous legs!
These are the best linen clothing items for vacation!
Since you’re on vacation, skip the tees and choose pretty blouses and tops in different sleeve lengths! Gorgeous blouses are always encouraged but avoid polyester. Rayon, viscose, and 100% cotton are your best bet.
Same as with bottoms, look for dresses in light fabrics. Stick to 100% paper thin cotton or rayon for a cool and comfortable feel.
Whether a cute romper or a maxi dress, go all out with color and vibrant prints. You’re going to Jamaica!
Shop our favorite travel dresses!
Jamaica is a stunning beach destination so bring two-three bathing suits to rotate during your trip. For minimalist packers, opt for two pairs. Wear a suit one day, then let it dry on the day you wear your other one.
From bikinis to one piece bathing suits, these are our top picks!
If you’re a golfer…
and will be in Montego Bay, don’t forget to pack for the golf courses, which are the best in the West Indies.
Under Armour has HeatGear, which helps people to stay cool, dry and light with fitted clothing that feels like an extra layer of skin. It’s ideal for sun-sensitive people, and also, for people who are worried about mosquitos.
What to Wear in Jamaica: Shoes
What to Wear in Jamaica: Accessories
Don’t forget to take a few stylish accessories such as cute sunglasses, fun beach tote, and sun hat – that’s for sure a must!
If you plan on snorkeling, bring your own mask, especially if it’s your first time. It will make the experience much more enjoyable than using an old rental. We recommend this one!
These are snorkel tips for beginners!
NOTE: Don’t pack expensive or valuable jewelry. It’s not uncommon for hotel guests to report theft even when staying at an upscale resort. Stick to costume jewelry. You can find Bali-style accessories, coconut-shells, and bangles are sold beside beaches or at tourist sites.
What to Bring to Jamaica: Toiletries
Good quality sunscreens with high SPF should be brought to Jamaica, even though cheaper versions are sold at gift shops.
Estee Lauder’s pocket-sized Double Wear waterproof concealer with mirror will cover small imperfections and dark circles under the eye—even under sunscreen—without smudging or fading. L’Oreal’s Intense Liner is also water resistant for morning-to-night cat eyes (both in and out of the pool).
Avon’s Skin-So-Soft might protect exposed shoulders during an evening on the Tiki-lit patio, but also bring packets or swabs of Off! Or Repel bug repellant to avoid mosquito bites.
For more insect repellant, shop our recommendations!
- U.S. dollars in small denominations for tipping is recommended—even at all-inclusive resorts
- For an affordable calling option, use “Just Talk” phone cards that can be bought with cash and are sold at kiosks, newsstands and pharmacies.
- ATMs can be inadequate, so be prepared with travelers’ checks if necessary, and beware of hidden credit card fees while traveling.
- Know the exchange rate before you go. Inform yourself of the Jamaican dollar value in advance by checking currency exchange rates on xe.com in advance or download the XE app to access during your trip.
Jamaica Travel Tips
- Jamaica is balmy year-round. Spring can be warm and breezy during late high season and very hot and humid in summer with temperatures ranging from 22C – 31C or 71 F- 88F. March or early spring is a good time to travel — before storms and then hurricane season, which lasts from June to late November.
- Once you’ve researched the weather, you can focus on creating a capsule travel wardrobe, which should easily fit in a carryon suitcase with the help of packing cubes to compress your clothing.
- Negril’s beaches are the absolute best, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios have the finest resorts on the island, and places like Runaway Bay are quieter.
- Booking hotel transfers in advance is suggested to ensure a safe and convenient journey to your hotel.
- You can expect that your baggage will be checked when exiting the country.
- Don’t forget to bring an anti-theft device such as our Secret Bra Wallet along with luggage with lockable zippers and keep it locked even when staying at a high end resort.
What are your tips on what to wear in Jamaica? Please comment!
For more Caribbean packing tips, please read:
Suggested Travel Resources:
LIKE THIS POST? PIN THIS PIC TO SAVE IT!
Hope you liked this post on what to wear in Jamaica. Please share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Author Bio: Lily An is a Canadian educator and Vancouver-born nature enthusiast. When she isn’t working or traveling, she is likely to be skiing, diving, or mountain biking with her family.