Support TFG by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) so we can continue to create helpful free content. Thank you, we appreciate it!
Want to learn how to choose the best swimsuit? TFG shows you expert tips and tricks to find the most flattering styles for your body type!
Find the Best Swimsuit for your Body Type
Table Of Contents
1. Pear Shape
Hips are significantly wider than your waist and bust.
2. Apple Shape
The waist is wider than your hips, and equal to or nearly as wide as your bust.
3. Hourglass shape
Bust and hips are about the same size width, but your waist is smaller.
Thin all around, with no significant difference between your hips and bust.
You’ll want to look your best when you travel! Read my travel tips to Pack Light Stylishly!
How To Select The Right Cut
1. A one piece will hide your waist.
Choose one with shirred panels, details, dark or solid colors.
2. High cut bikini bottoms will make your leg look longer.
If you’re short, or long in the torso, this is a good option.
3. Halter tops draw attention to the bust,
as do triangle tops.
4. Bandeau tops will make the bust seem wider.
If you’re a pear shape and want to imitate an hourglass shape, choose a bandeau top with ruffles or a busy detail.
5. To minimize a large bust,
look for a straight across cut at the top of your swimsuit with wide set straps. Try a bikini top with an underwire and a thick chest band for extra support.
Many travelers designate one packing cube just for their swimwear, bras and underwear.
Top Strap Detail One Piece Swimsuit Plus Size
Tips to Choose A Flattering Pattern
- Chevron prints show a flattering side to your body and keep eyes moving
- A petite small print makes you look smaller and shrinks you
- Vertical and angled stripes have a slandering affect
Lady Lux suggests: Try our Rock the Boat, Rock the boat monokini, Desert Rose, Jet set ready, Indian Summer or Irresistible bikini
If You Have A Large Bust
- Try underwire in a top for extra support
- Red is slimming and appears to be smaller
- Multiple straps on a swimsuit top add twice the support
- Animal attraction: a small animal print plays down the chest size
Lady Lux suggests: Try the Red Hot, Tainted Love, Summer Siren, Jessie’s Girl, Sugar Rush, Guilty Pleasure bikini
If You Have A Small Bust
- Lightly padded bra suit gives you believable cleavage
- Underwire suit tops enhance what you have as well
- Enhance your top with frills or bows
- Avoid a pancake bandeau top with hardware in the front or a twist tie front
Lady Lux suggests: Try a triangle top like our Gold Digger Bandeau, Ride Like the Wind, or Call me maybe
Want An Instantly Slimming Style?
- Try fun printed monokinis: They are slimming and show off your legs
- Deep monokini plunge shows off the girls, yet give you an elongated feel
Lady Lux suggests: The Gold Digger Monokini and Palms Springs Primmed are perfect slimming suits.
Expert Tricks To Enhance Your Best Features
1. To highlight a feature you like, use a bright color or pattern
Ex. Guilty Pleasure, Sugar Rush, Summer Siren, Strawberry Shortcake
2. To hide something you don’t like, use a solid color.
Ex. Summer siren, Sugar Rush, Rich Girl, Call Me Maybe
3. To add volume (bust or hips) choose a piece with ruffles or hardware details
Ex. Gold Digger bandeau, Jessie’s Girl, Ride Like the Wind, Indian Summer, Rock the Boat
TFG Top Picks
These are my two of my very favorite bikini tops and the best part? They’re bra sized! Read my full round up of underwire swimwear!
How TFG Editor wears Swimsuit
What are your best swimsuit for your body type? Share your tips in the comments!
For more on summer travel fashion, please read:
- Beach Dresses You Can Wear On and Off The Sand
- Beach Vacation Clothing that’s Luxurious (and Functional)
- Summer Clothes and Travel Accessories for a Stylish Beach Escape
- Best One Piece Swimsuits: From Beach to Dinner & Beyond
LIKED THIS POST? PIN THIS PIC TO SAVE IT!