Support TFG by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) so we can continue to create helpful free content. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made on Amazon in addition to other retailers featured on the blog. Thank you, we appreciate your support!
Packing clothes for travel doesn’t have to be a nightmare. Learn how to organize efficiently and save space, too. You’ll be packing like a pro in no time!
How to Organize with Travel Packing Cubes
While there are many benefits to traveling with packing cubes, one of my favorite reasons is that they help you organize. After all, when you’re on the go the last thing you want to do is waste valuable time searching for clothing.
Start by reading these general tips on how to pack light:
- Packing Cubes: This Video Will Change the Way You Travel
- How to Use Packing Cubes: 8 Step Strategy to Travel Carry-on Only
- Packing Organizers: These Luggage Accessories Help You Travel Carry-on
- Alternate Uses for Packing Cubes – Organize your Closet Space!
Packing clothes for travel doesn’t have to be a nightmare – read these tips and learn how to organize like a pro!
Compass Rose Compression Packing Cubes
Organize Clothing Categories
The easiest way to pack your clothes for travel is to use a different packing cube for tops, bottoms, and other. Here are two examples, one for winter and one for summer.
Winter Travel Packing Cube
Packing for cold weather travel can be quite daunting especially if you want to travel carry-on only.
To help you make the most of your winter gear and limited luggage space, start by reading these general tips on packing for winter travel:
- Capsule Wardrobe for Winter
- How to Pack for Cold Weather
- How to Stay Warm in Cold Weather
- Extreme Cold Weather Clothing Strategies
- The Secret to Packing Light in Winter
- The Best Travel Shoes for Winter
1. Tops | Dresses 2. Bottoms 3. Outerwear
Summer Travel Packing Cube
Traveling in summer is wonderful – the absolute vacation of vacations. To help you pack more items and make it lighter, start by reading these general tips on packing for summer travel:
- Capsule Wardrobe for Summer
- Lightweight Jackets for Easy Layers
- 23 Best One-Piece Swimsuits
- Best Beach Bags and Totes for Vacation
- Versatile Beach Dresses
- 11 Beach Sandals
- Comfortable Walking Sandals
1. Tops | Dresses 2. Bottoms 3. Accessories
This is the organizational method I recommend for longer term travel, trips over 2 weeks, or round-the-world journeys.
Figuring out a packing list for long term travel is no longer a challenge with these tips!
Organize Travel Outfits
Packing clothes for travel with organizers can also help separate travel outfits. Coordinate the first few days in advance then mix and match as you go.
Want to create best travel outfits for women? Plan the perfect travel wardrobe with our packing tips!
- Versatile Dresses: How to Wear One Dress, Many Ways
- 5 Sundress Outfits: How to Transform an Everyday Summer Dress
- 4 Rainy Day Outfits to Ensure Rain Never Ruins Your Travels
- Maximize Your Travel Clothing with These Tips on Mixing Prints
Outfit Travel Packing Cube
1. Week One 2. Week Two 3. Accessories or Outerwear
This organizational method works best for trips under 2 weeks because you have your travel outfits planned in advance to save time. For longer trips, you’ll need to mix and match your clothing more to create unique outfits.
Please read this post to learn how to mix and match 8 pieces of clothing to create 3 weeks of outfits using the Essentials Packing List!
Packing clothes for travel to destinations with different weather can be done efficiently by separating clothes based on hot vs cold climates.
Start by reading these general tips on traveling from cold to hot climate:
- 10 Step Packing Guide for Trips with Different Climates
- How to Pack for Cold and Warm Weather Travel
- Arctic Clothing: Extreme Cold Weather Gear for Women
- Traveling from Cold to Hot Climates: My Layering Strategy
Use one packing cube to store the clothing for your hot weather destination and use the other for your cold weather destination. The third can be used for layering pieces.
Create mini capsule wardrobes for each weather system!
1. Hot Weather 2. Cold Weather 3. Layers
When traveling for different climates on the same trip, think of this as a math equation. What percentage of your trip will be cold?
Pack that same percentage of clothing for cooler weather or use these layering tips to transition warm weather clothing to cold.
This is my recommended set of packing cubes. Watch this packing video and find out how they’ve helped millions of women travel carry-on only!
What are your tips for efficiently packing clothes for travel?
For more tips on packing clothes for travel, please read:
- Packing Cubes: 8 Step Packing Strategy
- Packing Hacks: Instantly Downsize your Suitcase
- Packing Tips and Travel Clothing for Multi-Season Trips
- The Best Packing Organizers
When I first saw packing cubes, I thought they were unnecessary, but they truly help SO MUCH with packing and staying organized!
YAY!!! Love it 🙂
Amazing tips, Alex! My packing is such a mess. Thank you so much for sharing your way to organize my bags!
Happy to help Pat!
I had always put my clothes out on the bed to figure out what to coordinate and what I still needed, but I never thought about using cubes to differentiate between weeks and weather conditions. It looks like it saves lots of space and lots of headaches and time over figuring out where to put your stuff. Thanks for the great advice!
Thanks Brooke! I’m glad to inspire some new packing ideas 🙂
I find it easiest to pack by weather/climate – that way I just pull out the cube or two for the location we’re in, and leave the rest in the luggage. SO much easier and faster!
nice! love how organized you are 🙂