If you’re planning a Springtime trip to Japan, you’ve made an excellent choice. Read on to find out what to wear in Japan in Spring!
What to Wear in Japan in Spring
This amazing country is positively spectacular during these months, and whether you’re going cherry blossom hunting in Okinawa, geisha-spotting in Kyoto or shopping up a storm in Tokyo, we’ve got an outfit idea to suit the occasion. Follow these tips to help you plan what to wear in Japan in spring!
Japan Clothing Style
Japan is a melting pot of fashion styles, and as long as you’re appropriately covered, anything goes. Don’t be afraid to join in the fashion fun, but mix it with comfortable, breathable items for days spent taking in the amazing sights.
Make sure your shoes are comfortable, but easy to slip on and off, as shoes are not permitted in shrines, temples or traditional restaurants.
The key to what to wear in Japan in spring is layers – the days will be warmer but the nights still quite cool.
So, pack a cute sweater or shawl in your day bag.
Beware of the rain
Don’t let the spring showers get in the way of your sightseeing and pack a lightweight, waterproof jacket.
Don’t forget your swimsuit
Japan’s coastline hugs the Pacific Ocean, and in towns such as Odawara (about an hour away from Tokyo), the beaches rival those of Hawaii.
So if you’re heading to Japan in the tail end of Spring, remember to pack your fave swimsuit.
Tokyo has a thriving nightlife, and your nights will be spent admiring the bright lights of the Shibuya or Shinjuku districts and deciding between the many bars and restaurants.
Don’t forget a dressier but versatile outfit when planning what to wear in Japan in spring. My pick is an elegant, chic all-black look with a splash of colorful jewelry.
Traveling between cities
Japan’s high speed train service (the Shinkansen) will get you anywhere you need to go in no time flat, but choose a comfortable items, akin to clothes you would choose for airplane travel.
The trains can feel cool, so don’t forget that shawl.
At the top of your packing list for what to wear in Japan in spring will be:
- Very comfortable shoes that you are able to slip on and off. Feel free to wear socks as they are permitted in shrines (just make sure they have no holes!).
- Smart casual sightseeing attire, such as cotton blouses, tailored shorts, a shoulder bag and a shawl, cardigan or sweater.
- If you’re planning a trip to Japan in early Spring, be sure to pack a hydrating face and body lotion to prevent dry, chapped skin caused by cold winds.
- Make sure you leave room in your luggage for shopping!
Travel Outfit Ideas
What are your tips for what to wear in Japan in spring? Share in the comments!
For more Asia packing tips, please read:
- What to Wear in Malaysia: Clothing, Shopping, and Travel Tips
- What to Wear in the Philippines: Island Hopping Adventure
- Thailand Islands Packing List
- What to Wear in Singapore
Suggested Travel Resources: