This post contains affiliate links. Visit our Disclosure page for details.
Join our community of 500,000 stylish female travelers! Sign up for Travel Fashion Girl’s newsletter and never miss a thing!
Safety is always a concern when traveling. So, we’ve rounded up the best anti-theft travel bags for women based on the top picks from TFG readers. Read on to learn which travel purse is their favorite!
Best Anti-theft Travel Bags for Women
No matter which destination you’re traveling to, safety should always be a top priority. Anti-theft purses can help protect your belongings by making it more difficult for thieves to slash through your bag or cut the strap.
- In Paris: A traveler shared a story of seeing someone’s entire purse get slashed from the bottom. Everything fell out, allowing the thieves to grab it and run.
- In Southeast Asia: It’s common for thieves on motorbikes to drive past you and cut or rip the strap of your travel purse from your arm, in some cases, dragging you with them. Read one traveler’s story here.
- In Tanzania: A volunteer was mugged for her purse with a knife (in which case it doesn’t matter what type of purse you have–just hand it over).
- In Madrid: An expat had her belongings stolen when walking home late at night.
These stories are not meant to scare you. That’s the last thing I want you to feel–the world is a much safer place than we give it credit for. It’s good to be well-informed and cautious, but please don’t feel paranoid.
While there are reports of thefts from travelers, there is a much higher number of people who’ve never experienced anything even close to these scary situations.
Fortunately, in over eight years of full time travel I’ve never had my bag stolen (so far).
So, while theft does occur, it shouldn’t deter you from enjoying your travels.
TOP 5 ANTI-THEFT TRAVEL BAGS FOR WOMEN
There are two main brands that offer anti-theft bags: Travelon and Pacsafe. I viewed each of their entire collections and found them to be quite distinct in what they had to offer.
If you’re looking for feminine anti-theft travel purses, then Travelon has a wider variety of options. If you’re on the hunt for a solid anti-theft backpack, then Pacsafe might be your best bet. Let’s take a look at the best of what each brand has to offer.
For a more traditional travel purse, Travelon has a large collection of styles in all shapes, colors, and sizes. I particularly liked the look of their Signature collection (shown above) and highly recommend it if you’re looking for a more “fashionable” anti-theft purse.
I was particularly smitten with the Signature backpack and have it in gray. It has a lovely coral lining featuring a multitude of pockets and a mini-flashlight, and it’s a nice size for daily sightseeing essentials.
The details are what stand out the most from this collection. I particularly like the metal hardware, which makes the designs look like “regular” bags versus ones meant to deter theft.
Need help choosing a style? Find out why cross body purses are the best travel shoulder bags!
For a more sporty anti-theft purse style, Pacsafe has several options to choose from, including the super popular LS200. It’s definitely the best-looking handbag choice from their collection.
They also have a backpack purse that’s large enough to fit a laptop and could easily function as an ideal day pack while traveling around major cities. The CS350 comes in three colors including cranberry, teal, and classic black.
Where Pacsafe truly excels is their anti-theft travel backpacks. They offer them in various sizes including a roomy, carryon friendly 45L, which opens from the side to give you full access to all your belongings.
For more tips, please read how to keep your passport safe while traveling!
Considering how much thought goes into the design of these anti-theft travel bags for women, I find both brands’ price points to be quite low and affordable–especially if they help you save money in the long run by helping you avoid losing your belongings.
WATCH THIS VIDEO (starting at the -17:20 minute) FOR MORE TIPS ON HOW TO KEEP YOUR STUFF SAFE WHILE TRAVELING. FIND OUT HOW I’VE AVOIDED BECOMING A VICTIM OF THEFT DURING 9 YEARS OF FULL TIME TRAVEL:
You can also watch the video on Facebook here.
Whether you choose to travel with one of these anti-theft travel bags for women or a regular purse, follow these precautions:
- Choose a cross body purse and always wear the strap across your body; don’t wear the strap hung over one shoulder.
- Avoid carrying all your valuables (including your passport) in your travel purse in busy tourist areas or when attending markets or festivals.
- Use additional anti-theft products like a bra pouch or money belt to hide the majority of your cash. Only carry the money in your wallet that you’ll need for the day.
See a full listing of anti-theft products here!
- Have your bag positioned towards the front, not against your back side when walking.
- Hold your purse close to you when in crowded trains or public transportation.
- Avoid walking next to the street where your travel purse could be yanked from your arm by a motorbike or vehicle.
- Look up scams and thefts in your travel destination. For example, search topics like “Bali scams” or “Tourist theft risks in London”.
Please note: The anti-theft travel purse suggestions and tips offered here are meant to encourage cautious travel but cannot guarantee that theft won’t occur.
WATCH MY VIDEO ON TPSY TV THAT SHOWS YOU MORE TIPS ON HOW TO KEEP YOUR BELONGINGS SAFE WHILE TRAVELING:
Items featured in video (in order as shown)
What are some of the precautions you take when you travel to keep your valuables safe? Do you travel with an anti-theft travel bag? Share and comment below!
To learn more travel safety tips, please read:
- Best Travel Shoulder Bags for Women – Cross Body Purses
- Will these Safe Travel Essentials Protect You?
- Most Recommended Anti-theft Products
- Keeping Your Valuables Safe Abroad
LIKE THIS POST? PIN THIS PIC TO SAVE IT!
I hope you liked this post on the best anti-theft travel bags for women. Please share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thanks for reading!